...Said the Joker to the Thief.

Welcome to Said.The.Joker.To.The.Thief, part of a network of personal blogs. Oh, by the way, ditch I.E. Get Firefox or Opera.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Relax, I need some information first.

Okay, I've just taken a General Studies Trial Test Paper for French. I'm not the only one to have taken it, both Kay and Sophie have already suffered, it's just that I'm the first one to post complaining about it.
After taking the paper my feelings toward General Studies have become reinforced.
Firstly, this paper is out of 50 marks. FIFTY MARKS. The Science and Maths Paper only has 25 marks "devoted" to each section. I think this entirely unfair to those like Kay and I who didn't study a MFL (Modern Foreign Language) as it means there is heavy emphasis on your MFL ability in your final result; which is totally unfair, it should be weighted just as lowly as Maths and Science.
Secondly, I'm not entirely sure, but quite sure that during the GCSE our MFL reading paper simply got you to pick which statement was true (i.e. A) Is Martin a fool in this example? B) Is Betroot mentioned in this example? And such forth) it did not ask you to pick out the incorrect phrase. This paper did. Not only that, but it deliberately tried to trick you. Well, maybe it didn't, but I haven't done French in TWO YEARS so I'm going to have difficulty with any question, let alone questions on NEW STUFF.
Which brings me on to my third point. Some students have had the great fortune of actually having MFL General Studies lessons, but not I. Instead I've been learning, for the past FOUR WEEKS, about Moral Panics and how the media presents information, which is basically how authority can influence you, how you should be wary of biased data and generally pissed off at GS. I cannot think of one subject where at least one of these ideas is not discussed (and it's already mandatory! We have a Politics paper that's about the same stuff) so I cannot see why they even bother teaching it; ever heard of a handout, Fred?

Ergo (yes, I just used a [weak] three part syllagism), the MFL General Studies Paper sucks. They'll regret telling me I could leave comments on the paper.

"Can you show me where it hurts..."

Marin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


This has been brought to you by; The Historian and The Physicist